Old friends gathered for the annual Fontana Elementary School Alumni Dinner and Meeting on May 4 at the school, where many fond school-day memories were rehashed over supper.
More than 80 graduates and guests were present to enjoy the meal and to discuss alumni business after supper was finished.
During old business, it was mentioned that last year’s scholarship winners, Samantha Owens and Miranda Spencer, were doing well.
Monita Lee, secretary of the alumni association, said the names of this year’s winners would not be released until next year’s meeting.
After the meeting, members of this year’s featured classes gathered for photos, many of which were taken in front of a memorial to Josephine Detmering, the last member to die of the very first graduating class, the class of 1927.
Detmering, who lived to see her 104th birthday before dying in February of this year, was said to have never missed an alumni dinner.
“She always came, even if it was just to make an appearance,” Lee said.
Members of the alumni such as Lee and Dick Cawby, president, agreed that Detmering would always be remembered.
From the 2013 featured classes, those who will be remembered are:
- The entire class of 1928: Kenneth Beck, John Cawby, Ruth Addy Goudie, Theo Klockman, and Harley Mathews
- The entire class of 1933: Vernon Arnett, Bessie Lindsey Bigley, Ruth Bone Chadwick, Edna Fay Guthrie, Ralph Hill, Cecile Keital Kettler, Floyd “Bill” Massey, Elra McDaniel, Keith Rainey, Nadine Mills Sawyer and Wilbur Whitney
- From the class of 1938: Kenneth Barnes, Helen Snyder Davidson and Letha McDaniel Lemen
- From the class of 1943: Fern Beck Brewer, Doris Allman Flake, Russell Keitel, Edith Eastwood McClintic and Harry McDill (They are survived by classmates Joanna Harbison, Harold Martin and Mildred Addy Weidman, who are not pictured in the alumni photographs.)
- From the class of 1948: Charles Doudna and John Wyman
- From the class of 1958: Warren McCandless and Connie Worthington
- From the class of 1963: Bill Baxter, Robert Kendrick and Johnny O’Connor
- From the class of 1968: Karen Toncray Marshall