Grass restaurant fire: 1 dead, 20 injured

In Pasture A tragedy struck on New Year's Eve: a massive fire at a downtown bar injured 21 people, some of them critically. A young woman He died at the hospital as a result of his severe injuries, police said Monday afternoon.

Also read: New Year's Eve celebrations: Injuries, fire and police car incident

According to the Styria State Police Directorate, the fire broke out at the bar on Sporgasse around four in the morning. Can't rule it out on Monday A crackerr caused the accident.

21 guests 18 people injured in the fire were taken to hospital. Three of them required intensive medical treatment. There was the Red Cross 10 Ambulances, 3 Ambulances, 2 Ambulances and a command vehicle is in use.

A supply point is set up at Karmeliterplatz

To provide security to the people, the operational administration set up a short-term emergency facility First aid point Set on Karmeliterplatz. People were taken to nearby hospitals from there.


The entrance area of ​​the restaurant was burnt

© Image: APA/ERWIN SCHERIAU

No technical defect

It was afternoon Initial findings from the State Crime Branch Police Office Before: According to this, the fire started in the entrance area and spread to the furnishings and decorations.

This leads to a Strong smoke development The fumes of the guests led to poisoning. At first it was suspected Technical cause of fire But may be rejected “according to the current status of the investigation”.

Is it because of fireworks?

The fire had a “subjective cause,” as it said — it was started whether negligently or intentionally caused It means that bursting of firecrackers cannot be avoided.

Police stressed that further details are still under investigation The question of escape route: Apparently the guests had to escape through the back yard – and the fire department also reportedly entered the restaurant that way.

The victim is between 20 and 25 years old

The victim's identity is still unclear. Police said the woman may be 20 to 25 years old.

Mayor's obituaries

KPÖ mayor All destruction He expressed his condolences on the holiday: “After this shock, I can only express my deepest sympathy to the relatives and friends of those who lost their lives in the accident, and hope that all those injured will recover.”


The front of the restaurant was still closed on New Year's Day

© Bild: Elizabeth Holzer-Ottawa

There were also many tasks because… Crackers It was set alight in the local area in defiance of prohibition. “According to preliminary findings, about 360 pyrotechnic items and about 150 official acts were confiscated,” the Styrian administrator summed up the holiday.

Many fires have occurred due to bursting of firecrackers

This also led to many fire accidents. This is how they ended up at Algersdorfer Straße in Graz Old clothes container Apparently a pyrotechnic object set fire to Anderer Brundleweg Waste Paper Container in fire. In Nice (Weiss district), a hedge caught fire from fireworks. The fire was extinguished by residents with fire extinguishers and the Nicea Volunteer Fire Department. No one was injured.

50,000 at the laser show in the main square

The turn of the year passed without incident in the main square where the city of Graz presented five light displays. According to the organizers, there were events throughout the evening About 50,000 visitsR present.

During the entire operation, there was “no major official action,” the administration official said.

See also  "Political deal": Romania eyes Schengen agreement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *